The last day of EVE Vegas concluded on Sunday afternoon, after a couple of substantial roundtable discussions and some interesting player presentations. Attendance was light in the morning, as many had reveled long into the previous night at the party at the Paris Chateau nightclub. As a result, the atmosphere was definitely very low-key on Sunday morning. But by the afternoon, the energy picked up to a satisfying conclusion.
Once again, I live tweeted bits of news from the events that I attended, as did other dedicated attendees. Here is a summary of the most pertinent tweets from the day
- CCP Ghost described the updated new player experience (NPE), called Inception. It consists of five components.
- The old Aura is gone - hello, Aura 2.0 - focuses on how to do things, while the faction mentor tells you what to do.
- The new voice actress for Aura 2.0 is Christina Cole, best known for the TV show Suits.
- Drifters are the bad guys in Inception NPE story. CCP Ghost suggested more Drifter ships are coming to the game.
- CCP Ghost says story is important in NPE to help memory with context. Memories attached to strong emotions easiest to retrieve says CCP Ghost, so NPE story helps make emotional reactions.
- Inception NPE includes five new types of sites as the setting for the story - this is the "mystery site", where pilots look for SoE facility:
- New Inception NPE, teaching how to hack:
- Multiple narrative and visual cues in NPE designed to reinforce emotional connection.
- The Inception NPE gives a taste of awesome scale in a battle around a Drifter Hive - capital ship arrives in scenario.
- CCP Ghost says NPE feedback has been very positive so far.
- CCP Ghost asks current EVE Online players for help with NPE:
- Plans for next steps for NPE development:
- Planned next for NPE: Operations Center to offer choices of actions by type: e.g. Combat, Mining, Trade, etc. CCP Ghost hoping for phase 2 of inception by Fanfest - but not set in stone.
- Ganking in the NPE is viewed as illegal.
- Eve Vegas SKINS presentation from the Art Panel - TONS OF PICS
- Billboards will be outside your citadel or industrial complex soon.
- Twitch streamer Manic Velocity confesses that he suffers from social anxiety, but EVE helps him overcome it. He says EVE not only has a steep "learning cliff", it also has a significant "social cliff" as well.
- Manic Velocity's advice for scaling the social cliff: Experiment with different types of in-game social interaction, take risks by doing things that aren't necessarily comfortable, find your niche, know your audience, and above all: be genuine.
- CCP Falcon hosted a roundtable discussion on EVE Online lore, to a packed room.
- He noted that there are no real conditions to what gets in the ticker in the Scope news videos. If he sees something he likes, he'll run with it.
- He would like severe consequences for players for stupid decisions, like changes to access in NPC stations. He'd love to limit docking rights in NPC corp stations if you have low standings with them. But game design considerations may make that difficult, if not impossible.
- "It's a good thing I'm not a game designer, or EVE would be a much darker and more horrible place."
- Falcon says "There are a lot of misconceptions about the Sisters of Eve... they're not very nice people."
- He would like to write a chronicle explaining Drifter conflict in the Inception NPE.
- On further story development about the Drifters, Caroline's Star, Sansha - Falcon responded with "Not yet".
- He is working on a Gunjack chronicle, but no release date yet.
- A new official lore portal is online but not released. It will be a massive backstory repository. Falcon is HOPING to go live with the new portal in December or Q1 next year. No promises though. Mercury has a lot to do.
- He really loves the idea of incorporating Scope videos into the portal as well.
- There is so much lore in EVE Online that there is no one person at CCP Games who knows it all, says CCP Falcon.
- Are there triggers on EVE Online landmarks we haven't found yet? "I'm not going to tell you that!" says CCP Falcon.
- CCP Falcon idea: a monument "Tomb of the Unknown Capsuleers" to recognize players who have passed in Real Life.
- Mentas Blaque is the most fun character ever, says CCP Falcon - would like to see him in a visible position of power.
- Q: any plans to bring back more classic live events? A: can't really reuse the tools from the Sansha live events, unfortunately.
- Independent capsuleers are a very small minority - most are in faction navies. We are a rare but powerful oddity.
- COSMOS constellation content is considered canon, of course. Not sure how they'll intro it to new players though.
- How dead are the Talocan? "I take the fifth", says CCP Falcon.
- We will see more about Upwell. Some corporations may leave the consortium and new ones join.
- Falcon would like to add a moderation option in local for live events, but that would be a lot of dev time.
- Elise Randolph says EVE Online pushes us to specialize, leading to a trap of sameness and burnout. To thrive, players must vary their playstyle.
- It's official - New Eden is not in our local galactic group.
- "EVE Online players know what AU means."
- Carl Sagan has been officially canonized as a saint by the Space Pope Max Singularity.
EVE Vegas 2016 culminated with an upbeat farewell from CCP Guard and CCP Falcon, and an invitation to Fanfest 2017, to be held April 6-8 in Reykjavik.
- 2017 will be CCP Games' 20th anniversary as a company, so they promise that Fanfest will be a big celebration.
- Apparently, EVE Online players like pink ship skins for charity, buying $44,840 of then.
- Altogether, EVE Online players have raised more than $500,000 for charity, so far.
- Fanfest 2017 attendees will get some CONCORD ships. One of these, the Marshal, will be given to players who attend both Fanfest and EVE Vegas.
Thus ended EVE Vegas. I will definitely be going back next year!
If I missed any news, please leave it in a comment.
Fly safe! o7